View breaks >>
Because of its position high on the inland plateau, Madrid can have some of the most extreme weather conditions in central Spain. Spring, early summer and autumn are the best times to visit, and although tourist crowds dwindle in winter, the weather can be bitterly cold, with temperatures rarely above freezing during the day, and icy after dark. Spring (March to mid-June) vies with autumn as the most pleasant time of the year, with clear skies and sunny days, though there may be showers. Summer (mid-June to August) is hot and dry, Rain is unusual between June and October. July and August are particularly hot. Autumn (September to October) has little rain, sunny days and moderate temperatures. Winter (November to February) has dry, clear days and low temperatures.
Read more on this destination in The AA Citypack Guide to Madrid.
Average climate in Madrid
- January: Average Temp - 9 (°C) 48(°F)
- February: Average Temp - 11 (°C) 52 (°F)
- March: Average Temp - 15 (°C) 59 (°F)
- April: Average Temp - 17 (°C) 64 (°F)
- May: Average Temp - 21 (°C) 70 (°F)
- June: Average Temp - 26 (°C) 79 (°F)
- July: Average Temp - 31 (°C) 88 (°F)
- August: Average Temp - 30 (°C) 86 (°F)
- September: Average Temp - 25 (°C) 77 (°F)
- October: Average Temp - 19 (°C) 66 (°F)
- November: Average Temp - 13 (°C) 55 (°F)
- December: Average Temp - 9 (°C) 48 (°F)